Thursday 26 February 2015

Heart Song by Desiree Williams Review!


22444621Title : Heart Song
Author : Desiree Williams
Pages : 227
Published : 27th May 2014
Publisher : Desiree Williams
Source : From Author
Purchase : Amazon/ Book Depository/ iTunes


In Aldonnia, the evil of Varkadon overflows its borders. War ravages the lands… 
For as long as eighteen year-old Alanna can remember she’s lived in hiding, sealed off from the outside world. Despite a future built around a steadfast rule of seclusion, Alanna dreams of the impossible. Of a life outside of her parents’ cabin. A life with more for company than just birds and woodland creatures. A life she knows deep down is impossible for someone with gifts like hers. 
That all changes the day Alanna finds a man floating face down in a stream. Despite her parents’ warnings, Alanna pulls the injured man out of the water and heals him with her elemental talents. Just another good deed. Until the man wakes and Alanna realizes so much more has happened than simply a life saved. The healing she performed on the stranger bound her soul to Jerric, the prince of Aldonnia. 
Alanna’s heart wants to keep the prince, but duty and destiny intervene. Alanna’s world is rocked as her parents are lost. Left in the care of family she didn’t know, Alanna learns more than she wanted to about the evil threatening the lands. There is much more behind her parents’ drive to protect. Alanna learns her gifts were bestowed in order to fulfill a greater purpose. A greater calling. One her enemies seek to destroy at all cost. 
Alanna’s choice is clear. To either ignore her destiny and remain hidden, or boldly fight to keep what sings to her heart.

My Thoughts : 

Since the very first time I saw the cover and read the blurb I wanted to read this! I love books with elemental powers and whats better than having one person able to wield all!!! 

This is first and foremost a love story, which I wasn't expecting, I like a good love story but I like more action than love, this is more love than action. I expected fights, war, elemental magic being thrown around, instead I got a sweet love story with only a smattering of action, which in itself isn't bed, just unexpected!! 

For this review I'm going to list my likes and dislikes, so lets get the dislikes out of the way.

There wasn't much I disliked to be honest, it was more an annoyance rather than dislike. I got annoyed with the love story near the end, there is only so much lovey dovey, heart singing moments in a book before my eyes start rolling. It was a bit too sugary sweet for me. 

I usually don't mind religion in my books but the constant mention of the Lord of Heaven got annoying as well. 

See, only minor annoyances and personal annoyances at that. A lot of people love romance like that but I don't.

Now onto what I liked.

Apart from the small annoyances, I pretty much liked everything else.

The characters were all awesome. Alanna is sweet, strong, kind and loyal. Her whole life has been spent hiding from the wicked Varkadons. She knows she is special because she can wield all the elements, she just doesn't know how special. The best thing about Alanna is her strength of character. She is sure of herself and of right and wrong. She is by no means a kick ass heroine, but she will do what she can to help her people. 

Jerrick is a prince and is Alannas Heart Song. Jerrick is a strong, confidant warrior but is such a sweety when it comes to Alanna. I loved the fact that his love for Alanna made him a stronger person. He is a swoon worthy hero ;) 

There are plenty of minor characters and all were so well written. I loved Alannas Uncle and Aunt. I loved Jerricks parents even! Jerricks sister Laelynn was awesome as well but my favourite side character was Dustan, a shifter. He is so playful, cheeky and funny that it was hard not to love him. I hope we see more of these in future books. 

The world building was amazing. I loved the Shifters and the wide variety of them. Alanna ends up in the Wolf Clans territory in a bid to stay safe from the Varkadons. I also hope to see more of the shifters in future books! The magical element was awesome too. I loved that Alanna could wield all the elements and the fact that mostly everyone has some magical ability. 

All in all, I really enjoyed Heart Song. It's a well written and sweet story and while not being the most action packed story it does set the scene for whats sure to be a memorable series. I'm interested in finding out what happens to the gang and to get some answers too!! It's an impressive debut and I look forward to more from this author. 




No comments:

Post a Comment