Saturday 7 February 2015

Monstrous by MarcyKate Connolly Review!


16181516Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Title : Monstrous
Author : MarcyKate Connolly
Pages : 432
Published : February 10th 2015
Publisher :  HarperCollins Childrens Books 
Source : Edelweiss
Purchase : Amazon / iTunes 

The city of Bryre suffers under the magic of an evil wizard. Because of his curse, girls sicken and disappear without a trace, and Bryre’s inhabitants live in fear. No one is allowed outside after dark.

Yet night is the only time that Kymera can enter this dangerous city, for she must not be seen by humans. Her father says they would not understand her wings, the bolts in her neck, or her spiky tail—they would kill her. They would not understand that she was created for a purpose: to rescue the girls of Bryre.

Despite her caution, a boy named Ren sees Kym and begins to leave a perfect red rose for her every evening. As they become friends, Kym learns that Ren knows about the missing girls, the wizard, and the evil magic that haunts Bryre.

And what he knows will change Kym’s life.
 


My Thoughts : 

The first time I saw the cover and read the blurb I knew I was going to read this. I had such high hopes for it and I'm glad to say that it did not disappoint. This is truly a magnificent read. 

Kymera was such an amazing character. She may be "Monstrous" but she had a true heart of gold. She is strong, brave yet so naive and innocent as well. She was told by her father that he created her using science to help save the girls from the evil Wizard. The girls are being held in a prison by the Wizard and it's Kyms job to enter the city at night and steal away a girl. She then has to bring the girl home and her father will cure the girl and send her to a paradise. 

Despite Kym knowing she has to hide from the humans, because as her father tells her they wont understand her, they will think she is inhuman and unnatural, Kym is so full of curiosity that she takes her time and studies Bryre every night. On night she ends up meeting Ren, she makes sure every part of her "Monstrous" side is hid and ends up talking to him. She is hesitant at first but eventually she looks forward to their meetings. She knows that she can't show Ren her wings, tail nor different coloured skin but she longs for him to truly know her. 

As I said, I absolutely loved Kym. My heart broke for her so many many times because she was so lonely but I adored her plucky spirit. She learns some harsh truths yet she will do what she can to do the right thing. I also loved her relationship with Ren. The fact that she found a friend was special and I was so happy for her. I enjoyed seeing the friendship grow. 

This is the authors debut novel and honestly, it's right up there with my favourite reads. It's dark with a real old style FairyTale vibe and one that will suck you right in. The story is shrouded in mystery and has such an emotional feel. It's kind of like, don't judge a book by it's cover because everyone who see's Kyms' real form are immediately frightened  but underneath she is such a sweetheart. 

Anyway, Monstrous is one of those books that will stay with you long after you finish it. It's well written, with amazing characters and a truly magnificent read. It's emotional and heartbreaking yet you find yourself smiling a lot. It will pull you in, twist you around and spit you out again and again. I cried, I cried some more and I cried even more!!  I can't say too much about the plot because so much happens, so much death, so much sadness that I'm sure to spoil something but I will say that while some things are predictable, there are others that will leave you reeling. So overall, I guess you can see that I loved this book. It's truly and amazing and exquisite read. Highly highly recommend.



No comments:

Post a Comment