Friday 8 April 2016

Audiobook Review: Henchgirl by Rita Stradling!


    Henchgirl Audiobook
  • Written by: Rita Stradling
  • Narrated by: Sorrel Brigman
  • Length: 13 hrs and 8 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook
  • Release Date:02-08-16
  • Publisher: Rita Stradling
  • The children of dragons and humans, the dracons, control eighty percent of the world's governments. Humans worldwide are either subservient or prey. On the small vacation island of Mabi, humans call for war.
  • Sixteen year old Dakota Kekoa lives a double life. By day, she pretends to be a human to infiltrate Mabi Academy, a 'humans only' high-school. At night, she works as a henchman for her draconic mafia family, utilizing her ability to steal and manipulate emotions.
  • When Dakota's human friend is kidnapped, she takes on the mission to find her. This is not just any mission though; she is diving head first into the escalating conflict between humans and dracons. As more girls disappear and some are discovered dead, Dakota realizes her first honorable mission may also be her last.

My Thoughts:

I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I ended up enjoying it. I had a few niggles but overall i really liked it. I'm going to break this review down into likes and dislikes, so let's get the negative out of the way first, bear in mind, these were only minor annoyances! 

Dislikes:

Love Triangle..... Need I say more! I hate them, and unfortunately this has a one at the start. I'm gad that it wasn't played out through the whole book, but even so!! 

Wyveryn and his possessiveness. My god, he was outrageous, and even though the author explained why he was like that, I really thought it sent a negative message. 

Lastly, I was a little surprised that this had so much romance in it! I thought it would focus on the action and plot a little more, but it is heavy on the romance. 

Likes:

I really liked Dakota! She was fun, sassy and able to handle herself. 

I liked her extended family. Some of them were awesome and I hope we see more of them in the future. 

I loved the world and the word building! The lore of the Dracons was fascinating and engaging. It's explained really well and I loved learning about them. 

The writing style was another positive. The whole book is well written and developed. (despite my little niggles ;) ) The author gives enough information and doesn't dump a lot on us at any one time.

The characters, some of them were fascinating, Like Dakotas' Grandad and Wyveryns dad, even Wyveryn himself.

The different species of fantastical beings! Vamps, Werewolves etc!!! 

The pace of the plot. The pacing was steady and kept my interest throughout. 

In all, this was a thoroughly entertaining read. I was hooked right from the start and despite my annoyances, I still enjoyed this and look forward to more. It's one I can really recommend and encourage people to listen to/read.

Now onto the narrator. Sorrel Brigman did an OK job with it. She had trouble pronouncing certain words and her cadence was a little up and down at times. She also needed to ramp up the tension a bit, I think anyway. I found myself wandering during what were exciting times in the book, and having to go back and listen again. I didn't find her exceptional and because this is such a long book, you need someone who captures your attention, and holds it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment