Sunday 8 April 2018

Orbs by Nicholas Sansbury Smith Review!

27276216Title: Orbs
Series: Orbs #1
Author: Nicholas Sansbury Smith
Pages: 289
Published: April 6th 2018 by Great Wave Ink, Inc
Source: Purchased

PURCHASE: Amazon.com / Amazon.co.uk 



At the end of the world, who will survive?
The year is 2061, and the planet is dying. Cataclysmic solar storms have forced leaders from around the world to finally put aside their differences and agree on one thing--to jump ship. The human race is headed to Mars.
Dr. Sophie Winston is hired by New Tech Corporation to test a biosphere deep within the heart of Cheyenne Mountain; a mission she believes will help prepare the company for the three-year flight to the red planet. But, just days into the assignment, things start to go wrong. When the blast doors hiss open, Winston's team finds a changed world outside. Humans are gone, vanished without a trace, and they aren't the only thing missing. The planet's water is gone, too.
As the team explores their surroundings, they find thousands of luminous blue orbs lining the streets. It isn't until they uncover what's inside that they realize the nightmare that lies ahead. And what it means for our most important resource... 


My Thoughts: 

It's 2061 and the world isn't what it used to be since the Solar Storms. Leaders of the world have agreed that there is only one option, and that's to try to inhabit Mars. Dr. Sophie Winston has dreamed of the day that she would do something like this. She is willing to do anything to realise that dream and has agreed to test a biosphere deep within the heart of Cheyenne Mountain. She has been told that this will pave the way to that dream. But things start to go wrong and the team have to open the doors early. What they find outside is something they never dreamed! Life is about to get a lot harder. 

Having loved two series that this author wrote, I was both eager and hesitant to dive into this series, eager because his writing is amazing and hesitant because there were some pretty bad reviews about this series. But I needn't have worried, this book was amazing!! I read some of the negative reviews and a lot of them were complaining that the science was sketchy, well I didn't think so. I enjoyed all the sciency bits and thought they were done well. I'm not a scientist and really don't care if something wasn't 100% right, the plot of this felt right to me and that's all that matters in the long run ;) 

Anyway, plot wise this was incredibly fast paced and exciting. The action starts right away and it's breakneck speed from there. When the gang leave the biosphere, they come out to a world that's changed forever. I loved how the author portrayed the aliens and found myself quite frightened by them, especially with what they were doing! He has created a unique spin on the classic invading alien story and I raced through this to see how it'd end. 

One thing I've seen with this author, is his amazing ability to write great and memorable characters. This one is no different!! Sophie is one strong, fierce main character and I was rooting for her the whole way through. She is smart, confident, headstrong, and relatable. Each of the characters are well written and developed and I pretty much liked them all!! 

In all, this surpassed my expectations. I wasn't sure what to expect from it, but what I got was an exciting, edge of your seat read. It drew me in and I devoured it and I'm so looking forward to the next one!! It's movie worthy good!  If you're on the fence about reading this, don't be. Give it a go... you might be pleasantly surprised! It's fiction, it's there to be enjoyed :) 



1 comment:

  1. I have one more book in his Hell Divers and Trackers series to go and then I plan to start on this series. So glad you loved it! I skipped past your review and just checked your rating as I don't read reviews until after I've written mine.

    ReplyDelete